Drink Herbal Teas For Great Skin
The buds of the perennial lavender plant – in latin Lavandula Angustifolia – are known to help digestion, rest, and relaxation. All of these are very important to any of us who want healthy, fresh-looking skin.
Ancient Egyptians, Romans, and Greeks all recognized the therapeutic benefits of lavender, and used it for healing, and even in sacred ceremonies.
Lavender as tea makes an enjoyably floral, caffeine-free infusion. Below are tips about how to prepare, brew, and how long to steep a fragrant and beneficial cup of lavender tea.
What You Need To Make One Cup
kettle to boil your water in
single-serving tea pot or mug with a lid OR use aluminum foil tightly wrapped around the rim
1 tsp of dried lavender flowers – about 1 gram
infusion device – such as a tea ball, loose tea sack, piece of cheesecloth and string OR brew loose and use a strainer after brewing
8oz of filtered water and hot water from the tap
Brewing Lavender Tea
- Fill the tea pot or mug you’ll be brewing in with hot tap water to warm the container.
- Fill your infusion device with the lavender. If brewing without a device or tea bag, wait until step 4 to add your lavender.
- Heat 6-8oz of filtered water in your kettle on your stove to just boiling – watch for when the water just begins to form small bubbles and then remove from heat.
- Empty your tea pot or mug of the tap water and add the lavender to this container. Pour water from the kettle over the lavender, and cover. This helps to fully release the oils and tannins from the flower, enhancing the taste and medicinal properties of your cup of tea.
- Steep for about 5 minutes. In the future you can adjust the amount of lavender you use and steep time to taste, but steeping too long may result in a more bitter flavor.
- Uncover and remove your infusion device from your tea pot or mug. If you brewed loose-leaf, pour the steeped brew through a strainer into a 2nd mug.
Your lavender tea is ready to enjoy. You may add milk, honey, or sweetener to taste. Ideally, drink it plain to get the maximum benefits.